Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day: Andy Harris – 2022 Update
On this date in both 2020as good as 2021“Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day” published our original profile of United States House Representative from Maryland’s 1st Congressional District, Andy Harris, who was first elected to… yes, of course, the wave of the 2010 Tea Party, after a failed Congressional Campaign in 2008, and before that, a full decade in the Maryland State Senate from 1999 to 2009. This failed 2008 campaign involved Harris unseating the incumbent Congressman of GOP Gary Gilchrest running to his right, and claiming that Gilchrest, a Vietnam veteran, wasn’t really supportive enough of the war in Iraq during his time in Congress. Gilchrest ended up supporting Democrat Frank Kratovil in the general election, forcing Harris to try again in 2010. And Gilchrest is still disgusted with him to this day…which is understandable, given the circumstances.
Including the fact that Harris, a doctor, ran for office stoking paranoia about the Affordable Care Act. But during his orientation at the end of 2010, he had a tantrum saying that he would not immediately benefit from health insuranceand would have to wait two months until he was sworn in before it came into effect. To repeat… the man who campaigned against socialized health care practically ranted that he would have to wait two months to get some of it for himself.
Harris, the only Republican member of the Maryland delegation to the House, comes to our attention because we would like to say that he is the son of a Hungarian immigrant father and a Polish immigrant mother and that should make him a good example of a Republican with attitudes toward immigration… but no, it’s much worse than that. Andy Harris likes to remember his father, Zoltan Harris, as a man who was taken to a Russian gulag for being a determined anti-Communist soldier…the timeline of that, however, forgets to mention that Zoltan Harris fought for the pro-Hitler Hungarian army which was fighting the Allies in WWII.
So, yes, failing to mention that your father was pro-Nazi is a concern.
Support for Hungarian fascists hasn’t skipped a generation, as Andy Harris has come out in support of Hungarian strongman and Putin ally Viktor Orban in fact write it on congressional letterhead. And he snuck across the pond to speak at events in Budapest in favor of Orban, with its opening act being Sharon Slater, the leader of an Arizona anti-LGBTQ hate group who believes homosexuality is a “mental disorder” caused by childhood trauma that can be treated with gay conversion therapy. But Harris went so far write to the US State Department and ask them to withdraw the financial support our government gives to journalists in Hungarywho, you know, report the human rights violations committed by the Orban regime.
But it’s not the only far-right Eastern European country where Harris has shown interest… in 2018, Harris planned to visit far-right Czech white nationalist Tomio Okamura with a delegation of true creatures from Congress that included Dana Rohrabacher, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar and, of course, former Iowa Congressman Steve King. Not for nothing, but if your father was in a pro-Nazi group and you didn’t have the same ideals, maybe you wouldn’t want to hang around with trash like Okamura, who called for the gassing of Jews, gays, and Roma.
But Andy Harris doesn’t discriminate in the company he keeps, or the political endorsements he gives…like in 2017, he endorsed Roy Moore even AFTER the public learned that Moore had a long history of predatory behavior towards young girls (not to mention rampant racism and homophobia). This is not an isolated case, where he defends the worst people. After all, 2018, Harris came out strong to defend Brett Kavanaughaccusing his highly credible accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, of just being “a troubled woman”, and her testimony should be ignored.
I mean, there’s no bottom to how fearless Andy Harris can be. He might pretend to be a patriot, but it’s hard to pretend that when you leave and vote against health care for 9/11 first responders and call out the Zadroga Law”fiscally irresponsible”. Or how in 2018 he was caught illegally channeling campaign dollars to his wife and was slapped with an ethics violation. This continued into current events, as he began to feud with fellow Republican and Maryland Governor Larry Hogan for responsibly shutting down his state’s affairs during the Covid-19 pandemic. Harris compared Hogan’s “stay at home” order that applied to church services to “communist china” and “North Korea”. Hogan, to his credit, blasted Harris saying, “he has the right to say all the crazy things he wants to say”.
Maryland’s 1st Congressional District has a Republican bias of +14, which is surprising considering the rest of the districts in the state, the second most conservative is a skinny +6 Democrat. It helped Harris win in 2020 with 63% of votesand he returned to the Capitol to continue with one of the most grotesque voting records in all of Congress:
- December 18, 2019: Rep. Harris is ignoring his duty to Congress to hold accountable a president who has been proven to have committed serious crimes and misdemeanors. vote against Donald Trump’s first impeachment.
- May 15, 2020: Harris vote against the HEROES lawto further support the health sector and citizens affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- October 2, 2020: Andy Harris boldly ‘present’ votes as resolution introduced in House condemning Qanon conspiracy theory after his supporters began issuing death threats against Democratic Congressman Tom Malinowski.
- December 10, 2020: Harris signs his name to an amicus judicial brief to the Supreme Court, pleading with them to annul the 2020 election results. The same election in which he was re-elected.
- January 6, 2021: Andy Harris vote for objection to electoral college votes in 2020 electiona failure to send any kind of message that he was not intimidated or sympathetic to those who attacked the Capitol to attempt a violent coup.
- January 7, 2021: Rep. Harris nearly gets into a physical altercation with Texas congressman and former NFL linebacker Colin Allred while throwing a tantrum during remarks certifying votes for the 2020 election.
- January 12, 2021: A group of Maryland lawmakers are calling on Harris to resign for helping fuel and incite the crowd on January 6.
- January 13, 2021: Rep. Harris vote against Donald Trump’s second impeachment.
- January 21, 2021: Harris is under investigation by Capitol Police after trying to run a handgun past metal detectorsjust two weeks after the attack on the Capitol.
- February 4, 2021: Andy Harris vote to retain Marjorie Taylor Greene’s committee assignments.
- February 25, 2021: Harris vote against HR 5the latest version of the Equality Act, which would provide workplace protections for LGBTQ Americans.
- March 3, 2021: Rep. Harris vote against HR 1a bill created to prevent corruption of money in politics and protect voters’ access to the ballot box.
- March 3, 2021: Andy Harris vote against the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021.
- March 10, 2021: Harris vote against the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
- March 17, 2021: Rep. Harris vote against reauthorizing violence against women law.
- March 17, 2021: Harris is one of twelve Republicans who chose a side for rooting in the failed 1/6/21 coup attempt and votes against awarding Congressional Gold Medals to members of the police force in the Capitol who bravely defended members of Congress during the attack.
- May 19, 2021: Andy Harris vote against HR 3233the creation of a commission to investigate the attack on the Capitol.
- May 20, 2021: Harris is one of 63 Republicans who vote against the Covid-19 Hate Crimes Act.
- June 15, 2021: Rep. Harris is one of twenty-one Republicans who chose a side for which they took part in the failed coup attempt of 1/6/21 and vote against awarding Congressional Gold Medals to members of the Capitol Police who bravely defended members of Congress during the attack.
- August 28, 2021: Harris files articles of impeachment against Secretary of State Anthony Blinken after a car bomb attack in Kabul during the American withdrawal from Afghanistan (which Donald Trump signed leaving the countries at the mercy of the Taliban).
- November 5, 2021: Andy Harris vote against HR 3684the Law on Investments in Infrastructure and Employment.
- March 31, 2022: Harris vote against HR 6833, the Affordable Insulin Now Act, which would limit the cost at which pharmaceutical companies could list insulin to $35 and ensure that no diabetic was left out of their condition’s survival. Andy Harris would rather they be cheated by big pharma and/or die.
- May 18, 2022: Andy Harris is one of 192 Republicans who vote against HR 7790to create additional funding for infant formula (while claiming to be pro-life).
- May 18, 2022: Rep. Harris vote against HR 350the Domestic Violence Prevention Act, because these days, a board of the Republican Party is ostensibly domestic terror.
- May 19, 2022: Harris vote against HR 7688a bill that would help prevent gas companies from gouging customers over prices.
Andy Harris is a disgrace, and of course, did not face a main challenger in 2022. It’s still unclear who his Democratic opponent will be in November, but Maryland’s 1st District still has a +14 Republican lean, meaning it would be a huge upset if he were upset in 2022.
We can’t help but hope for an upheaval.
One year ago, June 21, 2021: Andy Harris (MD)… 2021 Update
Two years ago, June 21, 2020: Andy Harris (MD)… Original Profile
Three years ago, June 21, 2019: Brad Schimel (WI)… 2019 update
Four years ago, June 21, 2018: Brad Schimel (WI)… 2018 update
Five years ago, June 21, 2017: Brad Schimel (WI)… 2017 update
Six years ago, June 21, 2016: Brad Schimel (WI)… 2016 update
Seven years ago, June 21, 2015: Brad Schimel (WI)… Original Profile