Senior Project Manager | ReliefWeb
Senior Project Manager
Position Title: Senior Project Manager (PM)
Location: North-East Syria (NES) / Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
Period: 7 months with possibility of extension
Closing Date: June 26, 2022 (continuous application)
Start date: August 2022
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after expanding its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries.
The UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and Europe, the UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights and the inclusion of refugees and migrants. The UPP firmly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it makes tireless efforts with the ultimate goal of developing a more equal and peaceful coexistence until social cohesion.
For more information, please visit our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Entering year 11 of the Syrian crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs for protection and health, while protracted conflict deteriorates socio-economic resources and coping mechanisms . In northeastern Syria (NES), widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks continue, with women and children continuing to be among the most affected by violence , abuse and exploitation. In response, the UPP is implementing health and protection programs with funding from several donors, including BHA, ECHO, AICS and other EU member states.
The objective of the UPP and local partners is to improve the physical and psychosocial well-being of the population affected by the conflict with a view to strengthening the capacities of local actors and the resilience of communities in the NES.
A Ponte Per is looking for a Project Manager who will be responsible for the following main tasks:
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the different components of the LEARN Consortium UPP team. The project manager has overall responsibility for the implementation, quality and coordination of the activities of the LEARN cluster;
- Set up, plan and oversee the implementation of project activities in close collaboration with key project staff and referring to the UPP program office and administrative office for relevant aspects;
- Monitor project activities and ensure the achievement of results in accordance with the LEARN project;
- Assess overlaps and dependencies between projects under the supervision of the Head of Mission;
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure the project is progressing smoothly, correctly and on time and on target;
- Ensure continuous and consistent coordination with Technical Advisors, MEAL Manager and Protection Coordinator by designing a dedicated coordination system and obtaining program office approval;
- Ensure that all line management staff report regularly to mirror/relevant posts in Mission and HQ, with particular emphasis on communication within the Finance Department (LEARN Project Administrator, Administrative Officers and Office dedicated administration);
- Write the monthly narrative report in coordination with the head office reporting manager;
- On the UPP human resource manual and BHA guidelines for selecting local staff to be deployed in the BHA project;
- Manage and coordinate in relation to the work plan and the results of the project, a team of local and international staff employed within the project;
- Ensure that overall project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is UPP compliant, current, accurate, well stored and organized, available and easy to review at all times;
- Monitor UPP local implementing partner -KRC- and ensure capacity building of its staff based on UPP due diligence and LEARN Consortium inputs, quality performance and checks regularly for the LEARN project;
- Ensure timely and accurate program and financial reporting;
- Manage the financial resources allocated to the project and ensure compliance of expenditure with donor requirements;
- Liaise with INGOs, local authorities and other stakeholders in the spectrum of the LEARN project;
- Liaise with LEARN Consortium staff at the Technical Advisory Group level and ensure that the day-to-day components of the project run according to donor requirements;
- Activate and manage the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) when needed;
- Participate in all relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings;
- Perform any other duties consistent with the above assigned by the program office.
The necessary required
- University degree preferably in relevant subjects (social work, gender studies, humanitarian affairs, international development, international relations, environmental engineering) or equivalent work experience;
- At least 3 years of responsibility in international cooperation projects;
- Knowledge of guidelines, including administrative procedures, of major funding agencies (MoFA, EU, ECHO, UN, etc.);
- Excellent command and understanding of project life cycle management, from needs assessment to evaluation;
- Proven ability to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Previous experience of working under pressure and/or in a difficult duty station;
- Teamwork skills and proactive attitude;
- Experience in reporting and monitoring under tight deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities;
- Determined and committed to high quality standards;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels, internally and externally;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure, while maintaining flexibility and a professional approach;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Ability to travel to the Middle East with the same ability as a Western European passport holder. Ability to travel in Europe.
The UPP requires a criminal background check certificate (issued no more than 3 months prior to the job offer date) to confirm a job offer. We are aware that in some countries, the issue of a criminal record certificate by the competent authorities may take several weeks. However, the UPP organizes selections to deploy personnel in emergency programs and the time between the offer of employment and the deployment in the field is often very short. Thus, we ask all candidates to prepare in time and to be able to quickly submit their certificate in the event of success in the selection.
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors;
- Technical knowledge and work experience in the WASH sector, particularly with a focus on medical waste management and waste management in general, including waste recycling and green programs;
- Experience working with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs and others) or managing a consortium of NGOs;
- Previous work experience in UN-funded projects;
- Experience in facilitating trainings and workshops and in mentoring others;
- Knowledge of Arabic or Italian is an asset.
Un Ponte Per is an international NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, respecting the principle of non-discrimination. The UPP encourages all applicants, regardless of gender, religion and ethnicity, including people with disabilities, to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP meets all minimum standards for ethical conduct and strives to raise its standards above the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved for sexual abuse and exploitation and the abuse, violence, harm, injury and neglect of children. By applying, any applicant warrants that they have never breached any SEA and child protection standard and will not do so in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, the UPP will conduct a thorough verification and verification of the references of the shortlisted candidates, as well as the contacts indicated by the candidate. Applicants are cautioned that the required background check could compromise their privacy. Shortlisted applicants must promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
How to register
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process the data on the basis of EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief motivation letter (PDF format) which includes the contact details of three professionals. References (relevant and recent) to: [email protected] Please refer “PM LEARN – Last Name First Name” in the subject of your e-mail application and name the files attached to your application as name_name_CV, name_name_CL, etc. before job offer. Only selected candidates will be contacted.