Stormy weather pushes Egypt to close classes and ports
BEIRUT: Six people, including four women, were killed in the Syrian Al-Hol camp for people displaced by Daesh in December, a group of war observers based in Britain said on Sunday.
The camp, which is controlled by the Kurdish-led autonomous administration in northeastern Syria, is home to around 62,000 displaced people, including relatives of Daesh terrorists.
About 93 percent are women and children, and about half are from Iraq.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has a large network of sources in Syria, “six assassinations have been committed” in the camp by Daesh cells since the beginning of December.
The last victim to date was shot on Saturday.
The victims include three Iraqis – two men and a woman – as well as two Syrians and a woman whose identity is unknown, the observatory said.
Since the start of the year, the number of murders in the camp has been on the rise.
Some 86 people were killed, including 63 Iraqi refugees who were residing in Al-Hol, according to the observer’s record.
The director of the observatory, Rami Abdel Rahman, warned that “chaos and insecurity persist within the camp”, calling it a “time bomb” in comments to AFP.
In March, the Kurdish-led authorities launched a major operation in the camp in which they arrested 125 suspected ISIS members.
The UN has repeatedly warned of deteriorating security conditions in Al-Hol, which has also seen escape attempts in recent months.
The overcrowded camp hosts around 10,000 foreign women, children and relatives of terrorists.
Since the fall of the so-called “caliphate” of Daesh in March 2019, the Kurds in Syria and the UN have repeatedly urged foreign countries to repatriate their nationals detained in northeastern Syria.
But most Western countries have refused to repatriate their nationals from the camp.
Calls by the Kurdish administration for the formation of international tribunals for combatants have also been ignored.
Meanwhile, The New York Times, citing recently obtained Pentagon documents, reported that US air wars in the Middle East were marked by “deeply flawed intelligence” and claimed thousands of lives among civilians, including many children,
He said a mine of confidential documents covering more than 1,300 civilian casualty reports undermines the government’s portrayal of a war waged with precision bombs.
Promises of transparency and accountability, he said, have consistently failed.
“Not a single file provided contains a finding of wrongdoing or disciplinary action,” the newspaper reported in what it said was the first in a two-part series.
Asked for comment, US Central Command spokesperson Capt.Bill Urban told The Times that “even with the best technology in the world, mistakes happen, whether based on incomplete information or misinterpretation of information. information available. And we try to learn from these mistakes.
“We are working diligently to avoid such damage. We investigate every credible instance. And we regret every loss of innocent life.
While several of the cases mentioned by The Times have already been reported, he said his investigation showed that the death toll among civilians had been “considerably underestimated”, by at least several hundred.